Level 2 Technical Certificate in Horticulture
The Level 2 Technical Certificate in Horticulture is aimed at learners that are looking to start a career in the horticultural industry.
The horticulture sector is made up of many diverse industries delivering the science, art, technology and business of ‘growing plants’. The careers within horticulture are varied and range from crop production (fruit, vegetables, flowers, trees & shrubs and glasshouse crops), to landscaping, garden design and sports turf. Horticulture has a massive part to play in the future for our planet and the living things on it. From the food we eat, the sports we play, caring for the conservation of our environment, and the creation of beautiful spaces for our own human and heath & wellbeing.
The potential is vast and if you’re ambitious, there is real scope to progress in this industry, have a fantastic, worthwhile, enjoyable career and make a real difference to
the future of our planet and the people and creatures who live on it.
This qualification is suitable if you are 16 years old, or over. You may or may not have any previous knowledge or experience in horticulture.
Learners could progress into employment, onto an Apprenticeship, or further their studies by taking other qualifications at Level 3.
Compulsory topics include:
- Health and safety
- Working in the horticulture industry
- Plant naming, identification, selection and science
- Establishment and maintenance of plants outdoors
- Care, maintenance and use of tools and machinery
- Horticulture business skills
- Work experience (150 hours)
Learners will also be able to choose additional optional topics, including:
- Commercial gardening and landscaping
- Sports turf technology
- Developing hard landscapes
- Production techniques in horticulture
The Level 2 Technical Certificate in Horticulture could lead to the following employment opportunities:
- Trainee landscaper/gardener
- Trainee local authority parks/gardens worker
- Trainee nursery worker
- Trainee golf greenkeeper/groundsman
For more information, read the Level 2 Technical Certificate in Horticulture Qualification Handbook