Management Development Services
MDS: A graduate scheme with a difference
Not sure what career path is right for you?
Like the sound of a fast-paced and innovative industry?
Dead set on a career in fresh produce?
If you can answer “yes” to any of the above questions then MDS is a great place to start your career. We offer a graduate scheme with a difference in the food and fresh produce industry. You won’t be stuck in one job, or even one company for the duration of the scheme; you’ll be moved around different roles in various business over two years gaining much sought after experience. At the end of the programme you will have built up the skills, knowledge, confidence and contacts to secure yourself a challenging role within the industry.
More about the industry
Ever wondered how your chips made it to your plate? Or how blueberries are transported half way across the world to end up on supermarket shelves? The Fresh Produce industry is the driving force behind these supply chains. Often overshadowed by supermarkets and food manufacturers, the food and fresh produce industry is like the behind the scenes production team of a Hollywood film: you know it is there but what it actually does is a mystery to many. The truth is that it is varied, wide-reaching and, most importantly, absolutely fundamental to the survival of modern societies.
The industry is a buzzing assortment of procurement, new product development, agronomy, finance, engineering, production, commercial, HR and many, many more opportunities. The MDS graduate scheme is the gateway to this exciting industry.
What do we offer?
- Two year graduate scheme involving 4 different placements in 4 different businesses
- Valuable experience within a fast-paced and innovative industry
- Roles with real responsibility
- Opportunity to relocate to roles overseas
- 27 formal training days from IGD, Cranfield School of Management and other leading industry professionals
- Access to an extensive network of companies and industry contacts
- Personal mentoring from MDS staff and secondment managers at all placements
- Continued support throughout the programme
- Excellent and diverse career prospects. Farm Manager, Agronomist, Operations Manager, Technical Manager or Procurement Manager: the opportunities are endless.
- Competitive salary and workplace pension scheme
Find out what our trainees think here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1huRCiDAgw&t=11s
Who are our Members?
We work with over 30 member companies, ranging from retailers to suppliers and also businesses associated to the supply chain (e.g. crop protection & market research). These include:
- G’s Fresh
- Greenyard Fresh
- Berry Gardens
- Double H
- Barfoots of Botley
… and many many more. To find out more, visit: https://www.mds-ltd.co.uk/members/#s4
MDS Alumni can be found all over the industry, from growers, retailers and crop protection businesses to market research and software providers. Roles are as varied as the industry itself, but MDS is a fast track to senior management roles and there are examples of alumni that have set up their own businesses, are MD’s and CEO’s, senior managers of departments. Take a look at our LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/company-beta/2318436/) connections to find out more!
Who are we looking for?
- People with strong interpersonal skills who are capable of inspiring and leading others
- Highly motivated individuals with a thirst for the challenge of a rapidly evolving industry
- Resilient and flexible candidates who are prepared to relocate every six months
- A passion for pursuing a career in the food & fresh produce industry
- A 2.1 degree or above in any discipline, although a 2.2 may be considered
The scheme is open to graduates of all degree disciplines, although we are particularly interested in land-based, food related, life sciences, business management, marketing and languages graduates.
For more information on MDS: